Individual and couples counseling for bereaved families is available, on a short-term basis, for families unable to access other available community resources.
Bereavement Support Groups
The death of a child is believed to be the most difficult loss a family can experience. At Roger's House, we provide support to children and families throughout their highly individual experience of grief.
We offer parents and siblings a place to be with others who are also grieving the death of a child and to support one another throughout their healing journey. The bereavement groups are facilitated by members of the Palliative Care team.
Parent Grief Support Group
- This group is for parents who have experienced the death of a child.
- Facilitated by a social worker and a nurse.
- Different themes, such as how to parent other children while grieving, the impact of grief on a marriage or how to survive holidays and special occasions, are raised each week for discussion.
- Group members are encouraged to participate only to the extent they feel comfortable and silence is always accepted
Meets bi-weekly on Wednesday evenings from 5-6:30 pm.
Sibling Grief Support Group
- For school-aged children (4 yrs - 12 yrs) who have experienced the death of a sibling. This group offers an opportunity for peer support and for the exploration and expression of feelings through creative play, art and talking circles.
Meets bi-weekly (concurrent with the parent support group) on Wednesday evenings from 6:00 - 7:30pm
Teen Grief Support
For teens (12-18 yrs) who have experienced the death of a sibling. Individual counselling is available for exploration and expression of feelings that are unique to this age group.
Perinatal Loss group
- This group is available to parents who have lost a child to stillbirth (over 20 weeks gestation), or live birth, up to the first 28 days of life.
- Parent support group is facilitated by CHEO social workers.
- Different themes such as feelings associated with grief, disenfranchised grief, saying hello and goodbye, and the impact of grief on a marriage are raised each week for discussion.
- The group runs over the course of 8 sessions and an intake is complete prior to commencing.
Meets bi-weekly on Thursday afternoons from 3-430pm.
For more information on services and registration please contact: