Roger’s House recently reviewed our admission guidelines to better accommodate our growing occupancy. We want to be sure we continue to meet the needs of our families. The changes will also help us plan our staffing more in advance to ensure we have adequate staff to meet the children’s needs. With input from our Family Advisory Committee we have developed the attached guidelines, effective January 1, 2012.
Please note that when occupancy and resources permit, we will endeavour to offer more time to families on an ad hoc basis. It will not be possible to plan ahead for such instances, but we will try to give as much notice as we can when the opportunities present themselves.
These guidelines will be reviewed annually so we may continue to respond appropriately to the needs of the children & their families. Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns.
- Admission prioritization will be as follows (highest to lowest priority):
- End of life care
- Emergency respite
- Pain & symptom management
- Guaranteed respite
- Transition from hospital to home
- Additional (as available) respite
End of Life Care
- End of life care is always a priority and all efforts will be made to meet these needs
- Flexibility will also be shown in the amount of respite given to those children who are in the terminal phase of their illness.
- Emergency respite will be provided within 24 hours of the request for a maximum of 72 hours. Extensions may be provided as beds are available.
Guaranteed Respite Guidelines For Families Living in Ontario
- Each child referred to the Palliative Care Outreach Team at CHEO is entitled to 42 days per year of “guaranteed” respite time. These days will not be canceled unless the child develops an infectious illness that could be transmitted to other children at the House.
- Roger’s House will accommodate up to 4 “guaranteed” visits at any one time to allow for end-of-life or emergency admissions.
- The maximum length of stay will be 2 weeks at a time.
- Each child is eligible to stay for 3 holiday weekends per year.
- Holiday weekends will be booked at least 2 months in advance.
- March break will be booked by Jan. 1 of each year.
- Respite stays between July 1 and Labour Day weekend will be booked by May 1 of each year.
- Respite time beyond the 42 “guaranteed” days mentioned above will be provided to each family a few days before the desired time when beds & staff are available. The admissions coordinator will maintain a waiting list to accommodate such requests on a first come, first served basis.