General Questions

Where is Roger's House located?
Roger's House is located on the grounds of CHEO (The Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario) in Ottawa, Ontario. Please see the map for more information.

Is there parking available?
There is limited parking available for families during their child's stay at Roger's House. There is additional paid parking available on the CHEO campus.

What is the Sens Foundation's relationship with Roger's House?
Together with the Ottawa Senators Hockey Club the Sens Foundation initiated the development of Roger's House. Roger's House is the charity of choice for the Sens Foundation. As such, the Sens Foundation has made a commitment to cover an important portion of the annual operating budget for Roger's House and to help build an endowment fund to provide for its future financial stability and growth. All fundraising activities for Roger's House are handled by the Sens Foundation.

How is Roger's House funded?
Roger's House is funded by the MOHLTC, MCYS and the Sens Foundation. Community support has been (and continues to be) instrumental in the creation and sustainability of Roger's House.

[ Back to the top of the page ]

For Families

Do you need a referral to access Roger's House services?
Yes; if you think your child or youth could benefit from our services and support, ask that your family or CHEO doctor send a referral to the CHEO Palliative Care Outreach Team.

Is there a cost to families for using Roger's House services?
No, there is no direct cost of care to the family. The only cost is for meals for the immediate family members staying with the child: $5 per meal for adults and children 6 years and older, and $3 per meal for children 5 years and under.

How many guests can Roger's House accommodate at a time?
Roger's House can accommodate a maximum of 8 children at a time. However capacity may vary at any given time based on the unique needs of our patients and their families.

How do I make a booking at Roger's House?
Please contact our Admissions Coordinator at (613)523-6300 ext. 619.

Can the families of patients stay at Roger's House?
Immediate family members are welcome to stay with their children at Roger's House. Availability varies.

What should I pack for my child's visit to Roger's House?
Please refer to the Family Handbook. Pack what you would pack to visit a relative out of town.

What does my child do while he or she is at Roger's House?
The type of activities that the child will engage in will vary significantly based on their unique needs and the type of care they are receiving. In general, Roger's House aims to provide a "home away from home" in an adapted, inclusive environment.

The child will be engaged based on a "play plan" developed in consultation with the Child Life Specialist, the Recreation Therapist and the care team. Therapeutic play activities are provided on a daily basis for all children. Roger's House has a playroom with lots of toys and activities. We have a Snoezelen Room that provides multi-sensory stimulation. Roger's House also has many wonderful volunteers who spend time with the children at play.

My child has complex medical needs - can he or she be cared for at Roger's House?
If the child can be cared for at home with the medical complexities that they have, then they can be cared for at Roger's House. Please contact the Admissions Coordinator to find out how Roger's House can accommodate your child.

Can my child continue their schooling while staying at Roger's House?
Many children who come to Roger's House are able to continue attending school. If your child attends school in the Ottawa region, you will need to arrange for transportation to and from Roger's House by contacting your school.

Roger's House does not have teachers on site but volunteers can help children with their schoolwork.

For children who attend school outside of the Ottawa region, please contact the Child Life Specialist at (613)523-6300 ext. 607

What happens if my child becomes sick while staying at Roger's House?
If your child becomes sick, a Palliative Care physician will assess the child and determine if he or she needs to be seen urgently at CHEO or discharged home to be seen by your family physician. In either case the family will be informed.

Who will look after my child while they are at Roger's House?
Your child will be cared for by a skilled inter-professional team including physicians, nurses, and allied health professionals.

[ Back to the top of the page ]

For Medical Professionals

Who qualifies for palliative care services at Roger's House?
The following criteria must be met in order to be eligible for palliative care services at Roger's House:

  • Children/Youth up to their 19 birthday
  • Having a valid OHIP card and eligible to receive CCAC (Community Care Access Centre/Home Care) services
  • Must have a life limiting illness with progressive decline in health status
  • Must be involved with CHEO's Palliative Care Program

How do I refer a patient to Roger's House?
If you think your patient could benefit from our services, send a referral to the CHEO Palliative Care Outreach Team. We encourage early referrals so that the family can establish a therapeutic relationship with the Palliative Care Outreach Team.

Who can I speak to about initiating a discussion on Palliative Care?
Roger's House works closely with the CHEO Palliative Care Team. You can contact the on-call physician or nurse 24/7 at (613)737-7600 #0.

What services does Roger's House provide?
The following services are provided at Roger's House:

  • Respite Care (individuals and families)
  • Transitional Care
  • Pain and Symptom Management
  • Acute End of Life Care
  • Grief and Bereavement Support

For more information about these services, please visit Our Services.

What is CHEO's relationship with Roger's House?
Although Roger's House and CHEO are two different organizations, Roger's House works closely with many teams at CHEO - especially the Palliative Care Team. The Palliative Care Team reaches out to Roger's House to provide comprehensive integrated care.

[ Back to the top of the page ]

For Volunteers

How do I become a volunteer at Roger's House?
Please look at the Volunteer Section on our website. For more information, you can contact the Coordinator of Volunteer Services at (613) 523-6300 ext 605.

Is there an age requirement for volunteers?
For most volunteer positions you must be at least 18 years of age. Please see the Volunteer section of the website or contact the Coordinator of Volunteer Services for more information.

Is there a minimum commitment for Roger's House volunteers?
Volunteers are asked to dedicate a minimum 8 hours a month.

Why do I need a Police Records check to volunteer at Roger's House?
The law requires that those working with individuals in the vulnerable population must complete a Police Records check.

Do I need to be bilingual?
No. Bilingualism is an asset but not a requirement.

[ Back to the top of the page ]

Founding Sponsors

Bell Home Hardware Direct Energy Pat Butler Group Great West Life Ottawa Citizen Eugene Melnyk & Family Scotiabank